The Poet in Paris is an intermediate-level poetry-writing course offered as part of the inaugural Maymester program at the University of Southern California. Created by poet-instructor Cecilia Woloch, the month-long course has brought 12 undergraduate poets to Paris to work closely with Cecilia and a host of guest poets who live and write in the City of Light. Students are participating in intensive workshops, discussions, readings, and the literary and cultural life of the city so as to broaden their vision and range as writers. This is where they come to share their experiences.

Tuesday, May 24, 2011

My Experiences, Thus Far

This is front row at Shakespeare and Co. Jack Hirschman and Sylvia Whitman looking for something, man. Jack gave an inspirational reading of his poetry, he is RADICAL!
I spend my weekends skateboarding at Dôme, which is the Tokyo Museum, with my new friend Hugo. He likes to practice speaking English with me, and I try to learn French from him...not working out so well.
This is a picture from an evening spent on the Pont Des Arts Bridge over the Seine River. This is where winos come to hang out and lovers put locks on the fence to show their love for one another. I also gave a rose to a beautiful Parisian girl and it went swell, but I have yet to hear from her...
Oscar Wilde has many red lipstick wearing lovers...it doesn't really make sense, but I'm sure he would appreciate the love.

Seriously? Can you?

This past Monday 5/23 our class went to Culture Rapide to take part in the weekly spoken word! It was a blast and a few of our class members spoke: ME, Andrew Ramirez, Corey Arterian, Lesley Wasserman, Diana Vaden, and Cecilia and Suzanne. We definitely will be back next week!

Group Photo!

Getting prepared to do some spoken word with my poet juice drank.

Looking forward to more adventures! And a quote that reveals my feelings:

"In Paris they simply stared at me when I spoke to them in French. I never did succeed in making those idiots understand their laungauge." Mark Twain

Sincerely,

Bryan "is in the kitchen" King

3 comments:

  1. lovee your adventures. i am glad you're having so much fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post, Bryan -- even though we all have devil eyes in that group photo! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent recap... Just what we needed at this half-way point. Yes, HALF-WAY! Et puis, merde!

    Love, love, LOVE the Twain quote!!!

    ReplyDelete