The Poet in Paris is an intermediate-level poetry-writing course offered as part of the inaugural Maymester program at the University of Southern California. Created by poet-instructor Cecilia Woloch, the month-long course has brought 12 undergraduate poets to Paris to work closely with Cecilia and a host of guest poets who live and write in the City of Light. Students are participating in intensive workshops, discussions, readings, and the literary and cultural life of the city so as to broaden their vision and range as writers. This is where they come to share their experiences.

Sunday, May 29, 2011

Friendly French

I haven't taken a French course in over 3 years. And in spite of having taken 6 years of French in my academic career, I suck at speaking it. Although, I often have little conversations in my head, which go quite smoothly, but once actually faced with a real person, I clam up. I just trip over "oui...uhhh...je...suis?...oui...merci." Or something along those lines, which is just depressing. I can't help but think that I am being slyly laughed at by Parisians all around.

But, today, I spoke French! In fact, I had a rather lengthy conversation in French. I was sitting by, what I am calling, the Mini Arc De Triomphe in front of the Louvre and writing in my poetry journal. As I was deep in thought, vigorously scratching out half-formed ideas, an older man stopped by and said: "Vous etes jolie quand vous ecrivez." (Or something like that, as I said, my French sucks... point is: I understood him). I laughed and said "Merci."

He sat next to me and commenced speaking in French. I was astonished that I could understand him extremely well. When he asked questions, I responded in French. Sure, I stumbled, but he didn't seem to mind and encouraged the conversation.

When he found out that I was from the United States, he seemed surprised, although, it must have been a feigned emotion. He told me that I didn't seem American, which, I suppose I must take as a compliment. I was just so happy to be speaking and understanding French. I felt so accomplished. Furthermore, having someone who probably could easily speak English, but chose to speak French with me was a delightful change of pace. Generally, I walk into a cafe, and attempt to let the server know that I am going to be sitting down outside, and I will be two words in before I am cut off by their English and led to a table.

This is frustrating, to say the least. I understand that it's probably even more frustrating to sit around for 3 minutes while someone tries to fumble out a sentence, but I have to say that with the positive conversational environment that this man fostered, I was able to speak fairly well--at least, well enough to keep the conversation afloat. So, a little patience goes a long way. I was confident with my French and it was awesome!

Since I don't have any pictures for this post (or any pictures at all... camera is broken), I am just going to end it with one of my favorite pictures that has nothing to do with Paris and everything to do with basic awesomeness:

Sincerely,
Corey

3 comments:

  1. You need to just reformat your card (or buy a new one). You MUST take pictures!! Mom says "Tell her Mommy said to buy a new card." They are 15 bucks. We want to see your adventures!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Spaghetti Cat! Did you ever have coffee with your friend from the Louvre?

    ReplyDelete