The Poet in Paris is an intermediate-level poetry-writing course offered as part of the inaugural Maymester program at the University of Southern California. Created by poet-instructor Cecilia Woloch, the month-long course has brought 12 undergraduate poets to Paris to work closely with Cecilia and a host of guest poets who live and write in the City of Light. Students are participating in intensive workshops, discussions, readings, and the literary and cultural life of the city so as to broaden their vision and range as writers. This is where they come to share their experiences.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

And then there were two...

As we end this month long extravaganza in Paris, I can't help but reminisce...however I quickly realize that it is impossible to sit down and remember every moment, every laugh, and every joke, and I'm pissed that I didn't take more pictures. But here's the thing: I hate taking pictures. Don't get me wrong, I love the memories, and I love capturing great moments, but to get to those great moments, you have to go through so many shitty ones! Everyone takes pictures of Paris, EVERYONE, so I feel that nothing I take is original, except the pictures of people I’m with.

And now as just about everyone is gone (two more goodbyes today, and then there are only two of us left), I'm really sad that it's all over. I can never get enough of Paris, and I don't think I ever will…and I’m definitely not looking forward to the depression I’ll be experiencing when I’m back in Los Angeles. I’m very aware of how shallow and superficial “France depression” sounds, but I only say it because last year when I lived in France for the summer, the same thing happened when I got back to L.A…and I quickly realized that even though I grew up in southern California, it’s not the best place for me.

Our final poetry reading at Shakespeare & Co. was absolutely fantastic. It was just shy of two hours, which seems so long, but I found everyone’s to be so great and authentic to his or her character. It was really wonderful to end our four weeks of poetry workshops and reflection with this reading. Thanks to Cecilia Woloch and Heather Hartley for reading too! The after-party at Cecilia’s was also fantastic; it was nice to just be able to converse and mingle with everyone in our workshop and our guests!

Here are a few gems of that night.










Photos taken by JENNY HUXTA

2 comments:

  1. It was such a beautiful evening in every way! And Adrian Leeds said it was the BEST poetry reading she's ever attended, and she's attended plenty (as one of my closest friends and best supporters.) She told me she wasn't bored for one minute of that whole two hours, because each of you had such a unique style and voice and presence. Well, you know how proud I was/am. ;-)

    ReplyDelete